Stettler is a town in east-central Alberta, Canada within the County of Stettler No. 6. It is located approximately 101 km (63 mi) east of Red Deer at the junction of Highway 12 and Highway 56 and approximately 183 km south of Alberta’s capital city, Edmonton. The town is nicknamed “The Heart of Alberta.”
Stettler was founded in 1905 and was named after Swiss immigrant Carl Stettler, who also founded a settlement east of the town at Blumenau, as well as being influential in the nearby community of Castor. He also served on the first town council of Stettler.
In the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the Town of Stettler recorded a population of 5,952 living in 2,415 of its 2,607 total private dwellings, a 3.5% change from its 2011 population of 5,748. With a land area of 13.14 km2 (5.07 sq mi), it had a population density of 453.0/km2 (1,173.2/sq mi) in 2016.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Stettler had a population of 5,748 living in 2,350 of its 2,536 total dwellings, a 5.6% change from its 2006 adjusted population of 5,445. With a land area of 13.12 km2 (5.07 sq mi), it had a population density of 438.1/km2 (1,134.7/sq mi) in 2011.
The population of the Town of Stettler according to its 2008 municipal census is 5,843.
The median household income in 2005 for Stettler was $56,201, which is below the Alberta provincial average of $63,988